Darke County Fair

Missy sent pictures of Noah, Audrey and Audrey's friend from the Darke County Fair. The pictures were fun, the kids looked sweaty and sticky but they were also laughing and smiling from ear to ear. Personally I don't like being hot and sweaty and sticky, well, sometimes I do.

Photobucket

Do you remember going to a county fair when you were small? I remember going to the Darke County Fair. My Father's mother lived by the fairgrounds and it seemed if we gave them buckets of water we got into the fair for free. Of course this is just my perception of what happened.

It seemed we spent a lot of time in the smelly animal stalls. And animal stalls in the hot August weather makes for stinky company. And it was always freaky to see people eating and drinking as they walked through the smelly animal stalls.

I remember riding a ferris wheel and a round-up. The round-up was scary because it seemed like the bottom of the ride fell out and you were spinning so fast that it kept you plastered to the side of the wheel. However, there always seemed to be a fat guy that dangled lower than everyone else. It was hard to turn your head from side to side... but you wanted to watch this guy to see if he disappeared out the ride.

I remember my brother puking after being on the round-up. Which I know I found funny... except when it happened to me about 25 years later on my first date with my now husband. Nothing like vomiting in a hot public place.

The weirdest thing I saw at the fair and the one that has stayed with me after all these years is a bright bloody kotex laying in the middle of a walkway. And how everyone's eyes grew huge and Mother's grabbed their children and shoved them to the other side of the fairground, their hands covering their children's eyes. I wondered where the hell it came from. I mean could it be possible that it just fell out of someone's panties. And this was long before wings and adhesive strips. These were the days when you had to wear a sanitary belt or those rubber pants with built-in garters to hook up your pad.

Okay.. I was talking about the fair and not the evolution of feminine hygiene supplies.

I haven't been to a fair for years. Mostly because I don't enjoy the smell of hot animal feces while I'm eating sugared waffles. I do ventured to Festivals and I even go to the Pork Festival that does have piggies on display. But I never go see them... I just prefer to eat them. The Pork Festival in Preble County has the best grilled porkchops you ever sank your teeth into.

I hope you had a Happy Monday. And I suppose at this point in time... I should say I'm thankful that tampons were invited and that we no long have to wear huge Kotex pads and sanitary belts, especially on hot August days.

Comments

Melissa said…
It was fun, the kids and I were sweating like crazy, but Melinda always looked cool even though she was wearing a long sleeve black shirt and blue jeans! Go figure....
Melinda said…
hahaha....Angela this was um.....quite descriptive!

The animal stalls and barns were NOT smelly at all....they have HUGE fans in them now so they are some of the most COOL places to be when at the fair. All shady and fans blowing.......little insects and any manure gets cleaned up as soon as the animal does anything! I am always very impressed with that.

I also remember getting into the Darke County Fair for free behind Grandma R.'s house...but I don't recall any buckets of water!haha

I remember the round up too.....and feeling sick on it. I wonder if mom and dad figured they would let us all do that so we would all get sick and thus end them having to buy tickets for us for rides any more that day?? hee hee

I cannot believe the Kotex crap....wow. Not sure what I would do other than keep on walking too. You know I don't recall seeing any janitors at the fair.....even this year although we did see someone hosing off a ride......we figured because someone probably puked in it!
Patty said…
Good photo of Audrey and Leah. I didn't see it in the bunch Melissa sent out in the e-mail. I wondered if they were on the Ferris wheel, but I couldn't tell from the photo I received.

I doubt we'll be going this year, although i think this is probably one of the cooler fair's weather wise.

We're waiting for Charles and Edna to stop over. They got in Sunday evening from Texas, he always likes to come back for a day or two during the Fair week.
Anonymous said…
Oh Yea
bockel24 said…
What a great photo!! Well, all your pics are ... I love your blog and the thoughts you share here.

Popular Posts