– Community


Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

In February, while sitting in my hairdresser's chair, Tim one of the owners of the shop was talking about Rev. Michael Beckwith and an event his church was sponsoring him in. I had heard about Michael Beckwith when he and his wife would appear from time to time on a show called "Starting Over" and of course I had read and watched "The Secret". I asked Tim more about his church and he asked me to stop by.

I did go to his church that Sunday for the 9:00 a.m. meditation service. There were only a few people gathered there and yet the room was brimming with this energy flow that was warm and welcoming and joyful. I went back to the 11:00 a.m. service which is called "celebratory" and was welcomed with hugs from the entire church community. A huge difference from the 9:00 a.m. service which was so quiet.

The church I discovered that day is called Agape Global Heart Community. It's founded in "new age" wisdom and everyone is welcomed there. I've had problems in the past going from Church to Church, purporting they were the true church of God and yet not fully embracing everyone. Certain groups were excluded based on their beliefs, their sexual practices, etc. I've always questioned how that could happen if you truly follow heavenly principles and are overflowing with love.

I have attended several classes there now. The health challenges that I have been facing have kept me away the last several weeks, but I'm eagerly anticipating the Christmas eve service, and the burning bowl service on New Year's eve.

For now this is the place were I feel like I'm part of a community.

In 2011 I want to dig deeper in Tibetan Buddhism. To regular attend their services and to continue my reading. Not sure I will continue with the Japanese Buddhist group that I currently attend. They meet once a month but it's been hard for me to fit in there.

Comments

Olivia said…
I'm so glad that you've found a spiritual home, EB!! That is great news, and so important, don't you think--to "land" somewhere and to feel as thought there is somewhere that we can belong?

I will be writing about this, but in the meantime, I am so glad for you,

xoO

Popular Posts