Thanksgiving - Day 22 of Giving Thanks


One of the most memorable Thanksgivings was in 1963.  I had my tonsils taken out a week before Thanksgiving.  Then John F Kennedy was assassinated.  And I remember laying around on the sofa watching the black and white TV and nothing was on except news coverage of the funeral.


That Thanksgiving I had popsicles while everyone else had the traditional dinner.

Some years we would go to Grandma C's for Thanksgiving.  That was always fun.  All my cousins would be there and we sat at our own little table.  Grandma always made a lot of good food, except for her oyster dressing.  That was nasty.   But Grandma made pies.  Peach Pies, Apricot Pies, and Pumpkin Pies.  Her pies are the best I've ever had.



I'm not really fond of Thanksgiving food.  Candied Yams are nasty.  Turkey every 5 years would be enough for me.  Pumpkin Pies have a weird texture and I don't like the taste.  But Mom made good dressing.  And she always made mashed potatoes since I didn't like yams.


Mom Talking Turkey - 2004

Thanksgiving has evolved.  Now we go to Mom's and everyone brings a dish.  Missy's makes a mean mac N cheese, Melinda always brings good dinner rolls or bread, Becky makes a sweet potato casserole that everyone enjoys.  This gives Mom time to be a little goofy.


This year my Hubby had to work at the hospital so I stayed at home and fixed dinner for us.  Instead of turkey we had roast chicken.  I made homemade dressing, Missy's recipe for mac N cheese, and corn casserole.  There was also cherry pie, apple pie and pumpkin pie and loads of whipped cream.



Oh and I forgot.... Ocean Spray Jellied  Cranberry Sauce.  I'm the only one that eats this... but I love it.

I am thankful for the celebration of Thanksgiving.  Family and friends gathering to share an excellent meal and creating new memories.

Comments

Patty said…
Everything looks good, especially the corn bread casserole. i thought about making a small pan, but thought we had enough food with what we had, today is left overs for lunch or supper, or perhaps both.
Angie at Home said…
Definitely leftovers for supper tonight. But we're making mash potatoes and I'm making gravy... so there will be something new along with the leftovers.

Popular Posts