Mmmmmmmm.... An Eggplant Sacrifice

Below you will find pictures of a graffitti eggplant I found at the market on Sunday.

Of course I didn't want it to go to waste, so after taking it's photograph... I gave it a nice little sacrificial bath.... and plunged an 8 inch Chef Knife down it's middle (Please OJ.... stop reading).

I made slice after slice with the knife, the flesh of the eggplant so forgiving... and then began to hack it into bite size pieces.

I looked in my pantry.... gathered up ingredients that I felt would make a thick lovely sauce... and this is what I developed:

1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 red pepper diced
2 medium onions diced
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1 heaping teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
8 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled.
And of course... the Hacked up Eggplant.
Salt and Pepper to Taste....
oh... and a palm full of white sugar.

I sauted the onion, red pepper and eggplant in bacon grease for 15 minutes.
I added the can of tomatoes and spices, brought the sauce to a boil, and let simmer for about 10 minutes....and I served the sauce on top of organic wheat penne rigate.

And here's the sauce:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts