Tribal Odyssey - The Travel Channel

Last night there was nothing on TV and I didn't want to watch that "football game" so I began to flip the channels. Somehow I landed on the Travel Channel. The episode was entitled: Tribal Odyssey: Himba

In the parched scrubland on a remote corner of SW Africa is home to the Himba, a group of 8,000 semi-nomadic pastoralists. This story shows the traditional rituals and beliefs to which the tribe adheres. In this hour we follow a 15-year-old girl as she honors a marriage arrangement made before she was born and watch a young boy cope with the ordeal of circumcision. Actually it was 2 boys... and for 2 weeks the family chewed on some sort of bark and than spat it out on the poor cut penis. We'll also see a community read entrails to predict the future and witness a ritual in which they ask ancestors for protection from sickness and death.

Now... the thing that grabbed me... were the breasts of the women. I've lost 130 pounds, and my breasts are now much longer and flatter than they were before. I'm very self-conscious of them. However, in viewing this show, young women and old women, all had the same breasts....long and flat like mine. I felt like a part of their community and for an hour... I felt accepted.

Actually... the show is very interesting. I have a couple more to view. People think it's amazing that the Amish still live like they do without electricity, cars, etc... but dang........it's almost unbelievable that a group of people could still be out there in the world living just like their ancestors.



Okay... I just wanted to share the breast bonding moment from last night. Carry on!

Comments

Melinda said…
breast bonding.....mmmm

Popular Posts