Is this Purse Green?

I was out shopping yesterday and stopped in the Handbag Department. I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" bag. As I ambled through the aisles, I overheard an elderly woman talking to herself. She was holding up a purse and then bringing the purse close to her eyes. She caught me looking at her and began to talk. She said her daughter had this exact purse and that she really liked it. Her daughter's purse was blue, but she was hoping to find the same purse in green. She held the bag out to me and asked, "Is this green?"

I shook my head... and said, "no it's blue." The woman was disappointed and explained that she was going to have cataract surgery in February, but she was finding it very difficult to see colors. In fact, she wondered if she should be driving. However, she said she felt lucky that she didn't need the surgery before now and that she was 84 years old.

She brought a smile to my face and so I rummaged through the stack of bags until I found it in "old forest pine". She grinned from ear to ear... and thanked me for finding her "perfect" bag and held it up for me to see and explained "Isn't this the prettiest purse you've ever seen?"

This little encounter didn't last more than 10 minutes and yet it will be something I remember for a very long time. My husband stood several aisles over, smiling and shaking his head, as he constantly tells me that no one is a stranger to me.

I just love how we flow in and out of each other's lives. And at least in this interaction, she was no longer frustrated in not being able to discern colors and I was pleased to be able to assist her.

As I left her to go find my "perfect" bag, we both were wearing a large smile.

Comments

Wanda said…
I knew you weren't the big bitch you come off as. :)
Patty said…
How sweet and thoughtful of you. I to take time if someone seems to be in need of something, but I've been told someday I'm going to help the wrong person and get hit in the head. In a parking lot maybe, but not in a store, although now a days you never know. Thank goodness as far as I know, my cataracts didn't bother be telling colors. Thanks for being so caring. It just gives you a good feeling doesn't it?
Steph said…
You brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts