Father's Day, a Birthday Celebration and a new recipe

Today Alex and I went to my parent's home to celebrate Father's Day and my birthday. Mom fixed Nancy's lasagne recipe. We also had salad and texas garlic toast.

Photobucket

I received lots of presents and will post more about them later. I was a lucky girl.

We left early though because I wanted to come home and prepare a Father's Day dinner for Gary who worked 3rd shift last night at the hospital. I actually tried two new recipes and I must say they both were delish.

I made a chili-rubbed chicken with avocado salsa. Now I'm not a fan of the avocado but Gary loves them... hence the reason I was using that ingredient.

For the chicken I used a 1/2 teaspoon of chili, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Then I rubbed that into the chicken and fried it in olive oil.

For the salsa that topped the chicken, I used one avocado diced, 1 med red onion diced, 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime, salt and pepper to taste and probably 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro leaves. I must say that the cool, buttery avocado makes a soothing salsa for spicy meats.

I also made a tomato, corn and avocado salad. Now this was an easy salad and I will try again in another month when tomatoes and corn will be available fresh from the farmer's market. However I did purchase my veggies from Trader Joes and they were nice and fresh (but locally grown is so much better). Here's the recipe and basically you through everything into the bowl... oh and you don't cook the corn... just use it fresh from the cob.

1 ear corn
2 pints cherry, grape, or pear tomatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
1 avocado, diced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper

So here's the dinner. I also served a side of rice with it.

Father's Day Dinner

Comments

Patty said…
Looks yummy to me.
Melinda said…
yes it does look good!

Popular Posts