A Sunday Fable


Happy Sunday everyone! I was awaken by a father, his son and a friend tossing footballs in the parking lot by my bedroom window this morning. I wondered to myself why anyone would be awake this early on a Sunday morning. But then I looked outside my window and saw how much fun they were having.

Today I want to share a fable I've come across. I hope you enjoy it as much as I and that it makes you think.

Eckart Tolle, the brilliant author of The Power of Now, begins his book with a fable. He tells the story of a beggar, sitting on a box, asking passersby to give him some money for food. One day, a man comes along and says, "I have nothing to give you, but what's in that box you're sitting on?" The beggar says, "This old box? Nothing. It's just a box I sit on." "Have you ever looked inside?" asks the man. 'No, I haven't." "Take a look!" The beggar pries the lid off the box and to his astonishment finds it filled with diamonds and precious jewels.

Tolle goes on to say that the beggar represents each of us. We spend our lives begging for scraps of approval, attention, status, financial well-being, sex, sensory pleasures, power, and a host of other things, when our true wealth lies closer to us than the riches in the beggar's box. Jesus said, "Seek first the kingdom of heaven and all else will be given unto you." (Matthew 6:33)

Comments

Popular Posts