Wild Rice Soup

So I'm looking for the "perfect" wild rice soup. I actually had a printout of the soup served at a local hospital. I know, I know... a recipe from the hospital. But they do have great soup... so I thought I would give it a try.

Of course I had to modify it somewhat since the hospital is vegan-like.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup celery, diced.
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup pepper, diced (I used an orange pepper)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 T + 2 tsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 1/4 oz wild rice mix (I bought a yummy blend from Trader Joe's)
40 oz of chicken stock
1 cup half and half
1/3 cup slivered toasted almons
Fresh parsley to top.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the celery, carrot, onion and pepper and cook until celery is tender (about 5 minutes).

Whisk in the flour and salt and then the chicken broth, making sure the flour is dissolved. Stir in the wild rice mix.

Heat to boiling, reduce the heat, cover the saucepan and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. At this point you can add the Half and Half, the almonds and the parsley.

Photobucket

The soup was good (not amazing though). I served the soup along with some kick ass grilled sandwiches.

I would make the soup again but would add my wild rice to it. This was more of a creamy soup... and I like a wild rice soup overflowing with texture.

Comments

Popular Posts