Christmas Memories in July

On Christmas eve. we would venture from Brookville to Arcanum if it wasn't going to snow, if there was no snow on the ground or if Dad was in a good mood.  We were always excited when we actually could go.  Grandma would bake a ham for hours and then slice up the juicy meat and put it between the most delicious buns she would buy from the baker in Arcanum.  The buns were sweet and golden.  Grandma's ham sandwiches were the best.

The sad thing is times change.  The baker closed shop, Grandpa died and Grandma stopped celebrating Christmas eve for the entire family.  I had forgotten about those buns until I purchased a pack of buns from Dorothy Lane Market.  Oh my gosh!!  With one bite I was back at Grandma's house on Christmas eve.  I looked at my husband and said "we need to bake a ham".

So I did; for almost 6 hours.  And the house was filled with that aroma I knew so well.  And when I sliced that ham and the juice just poured out, I think I gasped.  And when my mouth bit down into that ham sandwich, I almost cried.  I was eating one of Grandma's ham sandwiches.


We also made green bean casserole and corn off the cob.  Grandma's dining table would have been laden down with potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans and all sort of things everyone would bring.  And then the desserts would come out.  We would all moan because we were full, but that didn't stop us from filling a plate with a sample of every dessert.

It's nice when memories reappear.  And I so enjoyed this Christmas memory in July.


Comments

Melinda said…
I remember it all well too....and it is possible yes..to make ham sandwiches like grandmas. It took me a few years to learn how but I can now too. I can finally also do her chicken broth though my noodles still do not taste like hers

Popular Posts