Lunch with Alex

On Sundays, when Gary has to work the weekend and is asleep, Alex and I usually go to lunch together.  Today we went to Smashburger; and that will probably be the last time we go to the one in Centerville.  The food just doesn't tastes as good as the Smashburger located in the UD ghetto.

We always have good conversations when we are alone.  Alex usually doesn't talk at home, but when you get him out at a restaurant he does like to talk.  Weird, I know.

The conversation came around to the animals that he has had.  Little Digger, the miniature hamster that was a vicious little biter who had to leave our home; Roger, the little hamster that escaped our home, Little One, the hamster that lived with us but developed tumors and became huge; Pete, the green parakeet that flew out our patio door, Articuno the cute little blue parakeet that spent a lot of time on Alex's shoulder and then Aries, the last parakeet to live with us.

Aries was so tiny when we got him he didn't even know how to make a sound.  He was also very timid.  Although the cage door remained opened during the day, he would only venture out to the top of the cage.  Anyway just talking about that sweet little bird brought tears to my eyes.  And I cried at Smashburger.

He was a special little pet.  We all still miss him


He loved mirrors.  He had a lot of them and would spend his time visiting each mirror frequently.  We called them his girlfriends.  His death broke my heart because Alex held him as he died and just weeped, stroking him gently with his finger.  We buried him at my parents house.  Alex selected Aries' favorite mirror and brought along a stalk of thistle seed, and laid Aries on his side, facing his mirror with the thistle seed close by.  Dang, it makes me cry just thinking about the attention and care Alex took to make sure Aries had those things in his grave.

I love my baby boy.  He's a caring young man.  And I'm so lucky he's in my life.


Comments

Jackie said…
Touching post....
Made me cry.
I love the love here.
Melinda said…
making me cry now too...Alex is very loving and a great son Angela....

Popular Posts