My Tuesday "Hook" up

As I posted in an earlier entry, I went over to my Mom's house on Saturday so she could refresh my memory on some crochet stitches.  I stopped crocheting in 1995 when I developed carpal tunnel in both of my hands.  It was too painful trying to crochet and my fingers would get too numb.

I had surgery to "fix" the carpal tunnel, but I never picked up a crochet hook after that.  Not sure why.

Mom gave me a book that had all the stitches laid out in a very pictorial way.  The book had an afghan of granny squares, so we practiced with that pattern since it was double crochet.  And it's like riding a bike, once she showed me, it all came back.

Then I came home and made a potholder, using some scrap yarn Mom had given me.


Well let me back up for a minute.  I've been seeing these beautiful afghan/blanket things on the internet lately that caught my eye.


And it made me want to try my hand at making an afghan.

So I'm starting to practice on controlling the tension of the yarn, making each square a consistent size and then I want to make something like the cream colored afghan above.  I really think that one is pretty.  Not to mention I like that grey and tan together.

Here's my first 2 squares:

I would have to make 395 of these to make an afghan.  This is just practice for now.

Comments

Jackie said…
This is looking good...
Continued success to you!
Patty said…
Pot holder looks great. Sure would be a lot of squares to crochet, then put together to make the design the pattern showed. But it will keep you busy. LOL

Popular Posts