Snow returns and "The End of Your Life Book Club"

On the way home tonight it began to snow. And as I got closer to home, the snow was falling so fast and the flakes were so big, it was very hard to see.  The snow was beautiful.


“All Heaven and Earth
Flowered white obliterate...
Snow...unceasing snow” 

Ornamental grass in a pot on my patio.  The snow looks like tiny feathers.


I wanted to tell you about "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe that I just finished reading. This book is a loving memoir of his conversations with his mother, Mary, from the time she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer until her death.  Both Will and his mother love books.  While Will accompanies his mother to her chemo appointments, they read books together and discuss them, forming their own two-person book club.


Just a simple question, "What are you reading?" begins in depth conversations between Will and his Mom about faith, courage, gratitude, learning to listen, hopes and dreams.  Throughout they are constantly reminded of the power of books to comfort us, astonish us, teach us, and tell us what we need to do with our lives and in the world. 

This book is not only a story of loss, but also a celebration of life.  Great books are ones that help us better understand the human condition.  They help us see the world from a different perspective or better understand our own perspective.



At the end of the book, Will lists all the books they read in those 2 years, which I have added many to "my most read" list.  But this book also made me do a lot of thinking about my life, the things I've accomplished and those things I do want to accomplish and how I can be a better person.  I've also been thinking about my Aunt Nancy and her journey with cancer and what she must have been going through.  I can honestly say this book has changed me.  If you decide to read it, let me know what you think.

Here is a link for a great review of the book:  End of Your Life Book Club review


Mary Anne Schwalbe

Comments

Popular Posts