Child's creativity

I wanted to share this with you.

When I was 5 years old and in kindergarten we were making paper chains for the Christmas tree. I had never made paper chains before. The teacher instructed us to dab paste on one end of a strip of paper and match it up to the opposite end.

When we were finished, she brought me to the front of the class because instead of making my chain in circle links, my links were shaped like teardrops. She and the children laughed at me for being so stupid. Then she pushed me back to my desk, tears streaming down my face, and shouted at me to redo my links until they were right. And she wouldn't let me use anymore glue.

It's no wonder why I hated art classes and why I get extremely nervous in making presentations to a large group of people.

I was in kindergarten 45 years ago, and yet that experience feels like it happened yesterday. I would say that negative experience changed the little girl that I was.

A teacher, a parent, or an adult in our life that we trust have an important role in our development. Sadly they forget that at times.

Comments

Popular Posts