Ode to Summer



Perhaps it's because there are 6 inches of snow on the ground and a forecast for 4 more inches tonight, but when I came across the above video, it reminded me that during the summer I would get on my bike and travel from Brookville, Ohio to Eaton, Ohio down long windy country roads.  My stop was Fort St. Clair Park to rest before I traveled back.  It was about an 18 mile trip one way.  Sometimes I would stop at my friend Elaine's house and we would both ride there.  We would pack a lunch and stop at a laundromat before we got to the park to buy an icy cold soda.

I enjoyed those trips.  It was very meditative, soaking up the beautiful countryside, and smelling those summery smells.  I didn't have a camera then (I wish I did).  Those memories are just stored inside my brain.

Now it's hard for me to imagine traveling down country roads by myself on a bike. With all the weirdos out there, I don't think it would be safe for a person to do that by themselves.

I haven't been on a bike for probably 25 years.  But I came across this bike the other day, this beautiful pink bike, and I thought about bike paths and picnics and the fun I did have when I road my bike.

Who knows, perhaps 2013 will be the year I decide to get back on the bike (of course I will need a much wider seat).


Comments

Anonymous said…
I have got a beautiful mountain bike I am not able to ride now, and you could use that to try riding around the block the next time you come up.
Melinda said…
weird but I do not ever remember you going on any bike trips like that or for that long. I would even be surprised mom and dad would let you go that far even back then ....we usually were only allowed to go around the block...then as we got older just in town. I sometimes wonder what happened to my memories

Popular Posts